Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Percy Jackson & the Olympians by Rick Riordan Part 2

Ok, so yesterday, I gave my thoughts on "The Lightning Thief." I adored it, and it made me want to continue reading this wonderful series. That brings us to...


Click here for larger image
The Sea of Monsters: 4.5/5

Summary: Percy Jackson and his friends must set out to find the Golden Fleece after Camp Half-Blood's magical border starts to fail. This leads them to the Sea of Monsters - which is the known as the Bermuda Triangle in the mortal world - where they have to battle well-known monsters. This story is a modern-day retelling of "The Odyssey," with some twists.

Ok, so I'm going to start off by saying that the half star off on my rating had nothing to do with the characters, the plot, or the pacing. In fact, it technically had nothing to do with the writing style. It was actually a technical problem I had with the book. Hear me out. I found numerous grammatical errors and typos in the copy I read. Don't get me wrong. Usually, I don't take away stars for this. I know a lot of books probably have errors and typos (some I may not even catch), but this seemed excessive to me. Maybe in newer editions this has been corrected, but I couldn't overlook it in my copy. So, really that's not a knock against Rick Riordan. It's a knock against the editor. Sorry.

Now, for the really good parts of the book. I LOVED the characters! Yes, many of the characters are the same, but there was the introduction of Tyson, and I absolutely adore his character. I'm not going to spoil anything, but I am going to say he's the most lovable cyclops ever, and I wish I could meet him and give him a hug. Percy, Annabeth, and Grover are as awesome as ever! I really want to just go to Camp Half-Blood and hang out with them, sipping ambrosia and climbing the lava rock wall during the day and singing campfire songs at night. That would be the life.

The pacing was good. Since I'd read "The Odyssey," I pretty much already knew about the monsters they faced, but I liked the retelling of it. I especially liked Circe's Island! I wasn't bored at any point during this book, and it was a really quick read.

The plot was good (how could it not be, as a retelling of "The Odyssey?"). Yes, because it's a retelling, it's not overly new, but it was still enjoyable. That brings me to the part about the writing and Percy's voice. I LOVE Percy's voice. He is funny and I love his thoughts. Again, the writing is easy to understand and very enjoyable.

Ok, that about wraps it up for Part 2. Tomorrow I will discuss my thoughts on "The Titan's Curse," which is tied for my favorite!

Have you read "The Sea of Monsters?" What were your thoughts? Who was your favorite monster they fought? Who is/are your favorite character(s)?

XOXO,

Janine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment