Monday, April 18, 2016

Percy Jackson & the Olympians by Rick Riordan Part 1

This will be a review of the entire "Percy Jackson & the Olympians" series by Rick Riordan. However, I feel like it's going to be really long, so I'm going to publish one review per day. Let me start by saying I absolutely adored this series. And, yes, for some it may seem like a children's book. But, coming from a 20+ year old, I would disagree. Yes, the writing is a little below my standard level, but that didn't make it any less enjoyable. To me, it was so much more than just another kid's book. It was full of lovable characters, a great storyline, a tiny bit of romance (Percabeth forever!), and subtle lessons about bravery, friendship, and believing in yourself. Oh, and it revolves around Greek mythology and demigods, set in the modern day world, so that's pretty awesome by itself.

Overall, I gave this series 4.9/5 stars (I know...weird number, but for averaging purposes, that's how it turned out). The only reason it's not a full 5/5 was that I found a lot of typos in my copy of "The Sea of Monsters." The other books may have had some minor typos, but this one stood out as the worst. I loved the story (which I'll get to), but there were just too many typos. I understand a couple here and there, but this seemed a bit excessive to me. I didn't notice it as badly in the other books, so I went ahead and gave them 5/5, but only 4.5/5 to "The Sea of Monsters."

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
Click here for larger image
The Lightning Thief: 5/5

Summary: Percy Jackson is a kid that has focusing issues and keeps getting kicked out of all of his schools. When he gets attacked by monsters, his mom sends him to Camp Half-Blood, where he discovers he is a demigod. He learns that his father is Poseidon. After receiving a prophecy from the oracle, he, Annabeth, and his protector Grover (a satyr) set out to reach the Underworld and prevent a war between the gods.

Ok, first off, Percy Jackson is definitely one of my favorite protagonists of all time. He's up there with Harry Potter for sure. He is just a really great guy that I felt like I would love hanging out at Camp Half-Blood with and fighting monsters next to (because I'm a demigod too, of course!) Anyway, I loved his voice in this book (as well as the entire series). He's funny and honest, and he's just a great hero! Also, he's the son of Poseidon, so that gets him bonus points.

I was also impressed with a couple of the other characters. Grover was adorable and so likable. And, then there's Annabeth. I absolutely love her! Yes, she can be demanding and pushy, but she's a good person who wants the best for everyone. She smart and sassy, and I just loved her so much. Oh, and daughter of Athena, so super cool!

The story was well-paced, and I never found myself bored. I loved the different places their quest took them, including St. Louis, Las Vegas, Hollywood, and New York City. Camp Half-Blood also seems like such an awesome place to be. Like, I want to pack my bags and call it home. (Can I, please?)

Like I mentioned before, the writing was perhaps below my level, but I didn't find it really took away from the story. It was actually a breath of fresh air, in a way, because it was a fast, simple, and fun read. I've had a lot of schoolwork, and it was nice to sit down and enjoy a fun book that was easy to understand. Don't get me wrong, I like books that are challenging. But, with school and all, it was nice to have something easy to read that made me smile.

Oh, and let's talk about that ending! Yes! I won't spoil anything for those who haven't read it yet. But...oh. my. gods! Yeah.

Ok, that's the end of this review Part 1. I will be back tomorrow with my review for "The Sea of Monsters."

Have you read "The Lightning Thief?" What did you think? Who is/are your favorite character(s)? Who is/are your favorite god(s) and/or goddess(es)? 

XOXO,

Janine :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment