Thursday, April 28, 2016

Book Recommendations 1

Hi guys! Today, I am going to be giving you 5 book recommendations! These are books that I have read either recently or that have been on my mind to reread lately. I tried to provide a variety of genres, so I hope you enjoy!

HORNS by Joe Hill.

Joe Hill is seriously one of my favorite authors. He is a master storyteller, with the ability to weave intricate stories together flawlessly. This was the first book I read by him, and it seriously made me fall in love with his writing. It follows the story of Ig, who's girlfriend recently died, after he wakes up one morning with horns. These horns give him the power to make people feel compelled to talk to him. With this, he sets out to find out the truth about his girlfriend's death. I can't get over how good this book was. The characters were so well-developed. The plot was interesting, and I was on the edge of my seat through the whole book. I just wanted to keep reading and find out the truth. And the ending was just weird enough to work perfectly. Rating: 5/5

THE LUNAR CHRONICLES by Marissa Meyer.

I know I've suggested this series before, but, to me, it is seriously that good. I loved how each story played into the last one and grew into this amazing series! In my opinion, each book got better than the previous. In case you don't know, this is a sci-fi fairytale retelling series. Cinder is Cinderella, but she's a cyborg. Scarlet is Little Red Riding Hood, but she's French and oh so sassy. Cress is Rapunzel, a hacker who is trapped in a satellite orbiting Earth. And Winter is Snow White, a Lunar who is losing her mind. All of the characters are so great, and their hunky love interests are super swoon-worthy! Rating: 4.5/5 (including Fairest and Stars Above)

A SEPARATE PEACE by John Knowles.

This was a required reading for me in high school, and it is literally my favorite required read of all time! It is set at a boys' boarding school in the Northeast during World War II, and it follows the story of Gene and his friend Phineas who are total opposites. One night, something happens to Phineas that will forever change all of the boys involved, especially Gene. It follows this night and the consequences it leads to. It's such a harrowing story that will not leave you. I find myself thinking about this book a lot, and I really need to give it a reread. Rating: 5/5

FAR FAR AWAY by Tom McNeal.

Honestly, I picked this book up just because it was in the bargain bins and it kind of sounded interesting. I really didn't have any expectations. I had never heard of it before, and...yeah. I didn't know what to think. But I was in for a treat! This book follows the story of Jeremy, who has a friend that's a ghost. And not just any ghost. He's Jacob Grimm, one of the Grimm brothers. This is like a modern-day fairytale. It's really fun and scary (but not too scary), and the characters are great. I really loved the plot and the ending. Everything about this book was really awesome! I can't believe it doesn't get more attention. Like I said, I'd never heard of it before, but I definitely think it's a great read, and I highly recommend it! Rating: 4.5/5

CIRQUE DU FREAK SERIES by Darren Shan.

Ok, I read this series quite a long time ago, but it still holds such a special place in my heart (which is maybe kind of weird considering this is a sort of creepy series). I read it while I was in the period of really getting back to reading, and it is still one of my favorite series of all time! It follows the story of Darren as he becomes a vampire to save his best friend's life. He has to go through so many trials, and it leads up to the prophecy...Uhhh! It's so hard to summarize this series because I feel like I'd give too much away. NO SPOILERS!!! Ok, so anyway, if you like vampires and freak shows and creepy things, this series is definitely for you! And, if you've seen the movie, don't let that change your mind. The movie was terrible, but the books are fantastic! They're really short and you won't want to put them down. Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment